Thursday, September 11, 2014

I visited a castle!

Ciao tutti!!


So like the title says, I SAW A CASTLE! Yesterday. I was tired last night, I didn't have time to post this. I guess I'll wait to post this until everyone is awake... I'm writing this at 9.30, so thats 3:30 AM there. Ok so, I saw a castle, and its in the middle of the city I live in :3 and I got tons of pictures!!! So I'm going to post some here:
 This is a cannon that was sitting in the courtyard of the castle. Note the bicycles in the background, Ferrara is a major major Bicycling city. I'm going to be going to school "in bicci" (By bike) every day so that'll be fun! :D


 Heres an entrance to the castle. I didn't get the picture from the right angle.


 Here's another entrance to the castle. Yes, this castle does have a moat! Its one of the few that still does in the world :3



 Here's the view from the inside in the courtyard.



 This is what the castle looked like when it was first built!


 Here's the kitchen!
 More kitchen :3



 This is taken from one of the three dungeons that I saw in the castle, this one is very large and famous because someone was held in there for 53 years. This was on the wall in there and it says something in the black checkers, and something else in the white checkers. I couldn't read the black spaces, but in the white ones it starts out with "Io sono sfortunato" which is: I am unlucky. In another one of the dungeons we were told that two people got beheaded: a son and the wife of a king, because the son was having relations with his stepmother (The wife of the king) and so they were both beheaded. 



 This is a rooftop terrace, its quite pretty. All the tree's I looked at were lemon trees, but there may have also been orange trees, There was a plaque that mentioned "arance" or oranges.


 This is the walls around the rooftop terrace, they are about 6-7 feet tall, they are obviously built to give the people on the roof privacy from the outside world, while also allowing them to look out at the people below.


 Oh now is probably a good time to mention this: There was an earthquake 2 years ago, and so some of the castle is still undergoing restoration. like the top of this clocktower. And all the photo's of the ceiling paintings have what appears to be tissue paper on them. Well it's not tissue paper, its something that preserves the paintings so that they can be restored. I don't actually know what it is...


This is the inside of a mini chapel that was built inside the fortress. OH I'll get pictures of the main Church up later, its pretty amazing.

 Here's a bunch of paintings that are on the ceiling!!! They're really pretty, I hope they finish the restorations while I'm here :) P.S. Some places they had a mirror to let you see the paintings without looking up. I got tired of looking up so I started taking pictures of the reflections of the paintings xD


 So, here you can see me, Max from Hong Kong is taking a picture on the right (your right, my left in the pic.) and Anibal from Bolivia is on the left in the red hoodie! We are all the students currently in Ferrara :)




 Here's a clay model of what Ferrara looked like in olden times! The even had a Star Fort (Upper left hand corner) The star fort is gone, but many of the walls still remain.


 This is the castle :3


 Here's a map of Ferrara from the same time as the clay model!


Here's some more ceiling paintings:









 These plaques commemorate visits to the castle by Giuseppe Garibaldi, and a Prince or King or something named Vittorio Emanvele III

No comments:

Post a Comment